We want to encourage everyone to get outdoors and enjoy all the great camping areas that the camping Sunshine Coast Hinterland has to offer. In this article we give you our insider’s guide to the best 5 camping areas on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. Find out where you should take your next camping trip, whether it’s on absolute beachfront, by the river or in the Hinterland, Camping Plus has got you covered.
A hidden gem, the Kenilworth camping grounds represent the true meaning of country relaxation. Kenilworth Homestead is situated right on the banks of the beautiful Mary River just 2km from the township of Kenilworth. Camping, caravans and motor homes all are welcome. Starting with a passion for camping and a love of open space, the Johnson family founded Bluff Creek Campgrounds at Kenilworth with a simple philosophy – Have a beautiful site, great amenities, surrounded by wonderful attractions with as much privacy for each group as possible.
- Bicycle Riding
- Dairy Farm Tours
- No showers
- No Powered Sites
- No allocated sites. Just pull up and camp anywhere!
18 Paulger Road, Kenilworth QLD 4574
Located between Kenilworth and Connondale, the Booloomba Creek Camping areas are only accessible through unsealed roads and creek crossings by high 4wd vehicles. The spots are alongside a picturesque creek and surrounded by dense rainforest that offer a secluded and peaceful setting. There is a gorgeous turquoise swimming hole with incredibly clear water making it a great spot for children. For those in search of peace and tranquility, there should be no problem finding a secret haven all to yourself as there is plenty of space to spread out and explore. There are several pre-bookable camping-sites some of which are only suitable for tents with others more suited to campers or caravans.
- 4WD Trails
- Conondale Range Great Walk
- Walking Trails
- Mountain Biking
- Water pumped from the creek (unsuitable for drinking)
- Cold Showers
- Individual Fire Rings
- Walking Tracks
- Pay Phone
274 Booloumba Creek Rd, Cambroon QLD 4552
Teewah Beach is in the 15 km zone between Noosa Shire boundary and Little Freshwater Creek in the Cooloola section and can be reached by 4WD only. Teewah Beach camping area offers beach camping without formally defined sites. It is a great place to go for great adventures. Vehicle access permits are required to access this camping area and campers can access campsites via formed tracks only. The long beaches backed by high sand dunes, tranquil waterways, woodlands, and an abundance of wildlife make Teewah Beach Camping a very popular camping spot in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.
- Picnic and day-use areas
- Viewing wildlife
- Bulk rubbish bins
- Campers should bring a portable toilet- The nearest toilets are located at Freshwater day-use area (just north of Teewah Beach camping zone).
- Located opposite Freshwater day-use area is a QPWS beach camper service facility that offers a portable toilet waste disposal facility, untreated tap water and cold outdoor showers
LOT 1 Queen Elizabeth Dr, Cooloola Cove QLD 4580
Cobb and Co Nile Mile Camping Grounds is the perfect family getaway in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. The 50 lush acres is situated on the Six Mile Creek just south of Gympie. Set on the site of the old Cobb and Co Horse Change Stables at Six Mile Creek, it is a historic location with remnants of the original site from 1878. There are plenty of amenities and activities to enjoy on the site but it’s the luxury camping that’s the most noteworthy.
- Playground with Fort and Slides
- Flying Fox
- BMX Track
- Pirate Ship Playground
- Walking Tracks
- Billabong (Freshwater 200m long x 30m wide) Canoes and kayaks welcome to bring. We don’t have any for hire.
- Cobbs Farm Yard
- 50 acres to explore
- Bring the cricket set or football with you
- Free Train Ride
- Free Cobbapilla Ride (motorised train)
- Pony Lead Rides $5 for 5 mins
- Horse and Carriage Rides $4 per person
- Flushing Toilets
- Hot water showers
- 2 x camp kitchen areas (no power)
- Gas BBQ’s
- Gas burners
- Picnic tables
- Campfires are permitted in all sites (BYO wood or buy from kiosk)
- Dog friendly upon requested approval
1484 Noosa Rd, Tandur QLD 4570
Set behind the foredunes of Bribie Island’s eastern beach, Ocean Beach is a basic campground that’s accessible by 4WD only along a 16km beach track. Most camping spots look directly out to the ocean but also have some shelter as most are set in light bush. You must have a vehicle access permit and you must book your campsite. While most of the beach access to this amazing island is by 4WD, there are many other places to visit and enjoy the wonders of Bribie. From shore fishing to picnics in the parks, clubs, pubs and restaurants, many hours can be enjoyed in this wonderful location.
- Micro-Flush Hybrid Toilets
- Screened Cold Showers
- A dump point for portable toilet waste
- Water Taps (needs to be boiled before drinking).
- Fire Rings at each camp
- We do recommend that you bring your own portable toilet and showers to Ocean Beach for an ideal experience
Halls Bay Rd, Coochin Creek QLD 4519
What are you waiting for?
This list goes to show there are camping grounds in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for just about everyone. The question is, which of these best camping sites are you going to visit first?
If you do decide to stay out one of these great camping spots, and you need to refill your gas bottles, come in to Camping Plus. We provide gas bottle refills, replacements, and new bottles for any requirement at great prices. Happy Camping!